Best Films Of The Year + Hitting The Pause Button

Some of you already know why, in 2011, this blog was devoted almost exclusively to film reviews: various other writing projects have caused me to be extremely busy since about mid-2010 and I needed to think of something that would allow me to keep DariushAlavi.com ticking over and wouldn't entail my spending hours agonising over what each subsequent post should be about. Film reviews seemed like a neat, logical solution. The task I set myself was to write one paragraph on every movie I watched in 2011 (either at the cinema or at home) and I'm pleased to report that I've accomplished it.

However, as the end of the calendar year has brought the little project to a natural conclusion, I think this is the right time to close the entire blog for the foreseeable future. The aforementioned writing engagements are becoming increasingly time-consuming and as there are only so many hours in the day, something's got to give. So, before I present you with my customary list of my favourite films of the previous twelve months, I'd like to thank those of you who've taken the time to read my musings and to leave comments and send me emails about them. Your support has been greatly appreciated.

Here we go then:

My Favourite Films Of 2011 (in the order in which they were seen)

Never Let Me Go [Mark Romanek]
Archipelago [Joanna Hogg]
Le Quattro Volte [Michelangelo Frammartino]
The Tree Of Life [Terrence Malick]
A Separation [Asghar Farhadi]

And as this is my final post, I'll permit myself a few 'honourable mentions': True Grit; Cave Of Forgotten Dreams; Pina; Submarine; We Need To Talk About Kevin; The Future; The Deep Blue Sea.

Happy new year, everybody!

Ciao for now,

Dariush.

Comments

Dantheman said…
What?!? I just started reading this blog again and ur closing it? Nooooooooooooooooo!

Popular Posts