Nature And Vacuums

I'm no scientist, but I believe there are currently three Laws Of Thermodynamics. I'd like to propose a fourth: systems will make active attempts to collapse.

What I mean is that we don't seem to be able to just let things tick over nicely for too long. If a difficulty doesn't pop up and attempt to topple a state of equilibrium, then we create one. It's almost as though something's always got to be inside our 'problem box'... which of course calls to mind the other law about nature and vacuums.

It's a weird, almost masochistic state of affairs, but it's unquestionably real, and I'm convinced it exists not just in families and workplaces, but also in the way our governments run our countries. Do we clutch on to some bare minimum of negativity because we feel it defines us? They say daylight would be meaningless without night. Perhaps we subconsciously feel our happiness is partly defined by our stresses and anxieties. So here's a thought for you: the next time you want to make an enjoyable event more pleasurable, immerse yourself in a crisis first.

---

PS. I've just checked out Wikipedia, and apparently there's also a 'zeroth' Law Of Thermodynamics... oh, and I think the Third Law basically expresses the same idea as my Fourth Law, which makes most of the above redundant... I did say I'm no scientist...

PPS. Chinua Achebe said it better: Things Fall Apart.

Comments

Popular Posts