Green

I find it more than a little ironic that a day when thousands of kids are out building snowmen is the day when the media are reporting the publication of a new report which claims that the biggest threat to children in this country is the "excessive individualism" and "aggressive selfishness" of parents. In fact, the snow falls have been so heavy - and have taken up so much air time - that they may well obliterate the Children's Society's findings and cover up what must surely be one of the most crucial and important pieces of research to be released this year.

What's particularly eye-popping for me is that the findings of the report seem to tie in almost exactly with the sentiments expressed in my novel, The Only Children. Indeed, my main character, Pauline, could easily be described as being excessively individualistic and aggressively selfish. And how about this for another spooky coincidence: the report took three years to put together, which is exactly how long it's taken me to complete The Only Children. So yes, on this frosty morning - putting aside how depressing it is to be reminded that we're letting down the next generation in an unforgivable way - I also feel encouraged by the confirmation that my tale has tapped into vital, topical issues. I just hope agents and publishers see the connection too.

Comments

Popular Posts