Move

I'm nowhere near being an expert on politics, which is why I haven't posted a single word on the subject of the US presidential elections. But yesterday's events have persuaded me to put aside my reserve.

As I listened to Obama's speech last night, the main thing that struck me was that even though he's unlikely to turn out to be a saint, even though his policies will probably anger as many people as they please and even though he may well find it impossible to withstand the corrupting influence of his position, yesterday, for about fifteen minutes, he reminded me of the tremendous, overwhelming power of words. Language moves us as compulsively as any physical force. And when someone uses it skillfully and enthralls us with their charisma, the effect is electrifying.

I was never excited by Blair's rhetorical posturing and I've not been impressed by the 'people pulling power' of the likes of Cameron and Brown. But Obama's got gravitas. Maybe the substance of his rule will turn out to be no more tangible than a breath of fresh air, but then sometimes that's all it takes to make people stand up and step outside.

My other thought is to do with the prefix 'black'. Yes, I can easily see that placing Obama at the end of a narrative that begins with slavery and takes in figures like MLK and Rosa Parks gives proceedings a poetic resonance. I can understand that, socio-politically, it makes sense to keep his image simple: he's black and that's that. But the reality's far more interesting. He's not 'black': he's of mixed race. His parents represent the first US generation that was able to enjoy the riches offered by multi-culturalism, riches such as inter-marriage. To my mind, this makes him a far more important and iconic figure than that painted by the single-hued moniker used by the media.

It's been ages since the world went past the stage when race was an accurate marker - if that's the right word - of identity. We're all a patchwork of various strands of DNA pulled out from pretty much every section of the globe. It's wonderful that we can now say that the US is about to have its first black president. But I guess we've not yet ready to call him the president who's as black as he is white and every shade in between.

Comments

Lorraine said…
Not bad observations for someone who doesn't pay much attention to politics.

Obama isn't a saint but he is, without question, the most intelligent, articulate, compassionate leader - and I mean that in a sense of the word that has been long forgotten in this nation (or maybe even the world) - that has risen up in America in a long frakking time. Much as I loved Bill Clinton, Obama runs rings around him on every level. And what makes me so frothing happy right now is that America is in such a mess right now and we needed someone with the guts to help us all dig in and do something about it. I can't think of anyone else in the political arena who could have done that. He is the man for this moment. That enough of us recognized that to actually elect him? Holy moly.

The last 8 years have been a nightmare. We're finally waking up and damn, it's a beautiful day.
Blogger said…
I do try to pay attention to politics, but I feel woefully unqualified to pass any comments.

And yes, I agree that, so far, Obama comes across as one of the most compelling politicians we've seen in a while. Long may the clouds stay away from Seattle!

Popular Posts