Pave

How many times do you have to do something before you can call it a tradition?

Yesterday, the Divine L and I repeated the main activity of the 1st of January 2007 by going for a long walk in places where we'd never set foot before. We found the "best dressed street" in our area, although we couldn't work out if the award had been given to its people or its pavements. I suspect it was the latter, because they were grey, which is the current black, right?

We found an old cinema which has now been converted to a mosque. I tried to discern a metaphor in this, but failed.

We noticed that the Catholic cathedral (which was closed, by the way) features along its external walls several gargoyle-like heads of bespectacled bishops. They were pretty spooky. [Pedants note: we had, of course, been to the Catholic cathedral several times before yesterday, but it was en route to unfamiliar areas.]

We discovered that if you want to look at a selection of calendars on sale at the local bookshop, and if these calendars are arranged on a 'spinner' display, and if the spinning action of the aforementioned 'spinner' display causes the calendars to brush past the chair of a woman sitting having a coffee at the cafe located in the aforementioned bookshop, and if you politely ask the woman to move her chair slightly so that you can look at the calendars, and if the woman's companion also asks the woman to move her chair, then the aforementioned woman will huff, proclaim that she was "all comfortable" and not budge an inch!

We also learned - and this was by far the day's most reassuring find - that, according to a large sign posted at the entrance to some Naval building or other, the current "Terrorism Response Rate Level" is "Heightened". This may have been because the CCTV cameras spotted my unshaven mug appearing round the corner.

One bona fide tradition is the compilation of my list of Top 5 Films Of The Year, although I'm going to permit myself to alter the rules slightly and reduce it a Top 3 this time. My cinema attendance was paltry during the last twelve months and I don't think I saw enough movies to warrant a Top 5. So - assuming there's anyone out there who cares - here are the three titles, in the order in which they were seen:


Fingers crossed, I'll be able to expand the list to its customary size this time next year. Happy 2008 to each and every one of you!

Comments

Lorraine said…
Sounds like a fine tradition to moi. I like the idea of starting the year with finding the unfamiliar within the familiar. Or something like that...

I'll have to put your 1 and 3 on my Netflix list. Saw "Prairie Home Companion" and LOVED. IT.

A very happy new year, Dariush! And to the Divine Ms L as well!
Blogger said…
Defamiliarisation. How's that sound?

Is it terribly ignorant of me to ask what Netflix is? Why don't I just Google it...

... oh, okay, I should've guessed. Just remember to be in a very patient mood when your copy of Into Great Silence is delivered.

Popular Posts