Film Review: Green Lantern [dir. Martin Campbell; 2011]

Trust me, this was not a film I chose to see. But if I'm going to stick to this year's blog resolution, then I must religiously chart every cinematic experience, even those in which I was a mere chaperone. Having said that, Green Lantern isn't as awful as I'd feared: it made me want to slash only one wrist, not both. Yes, the special effects are watchable, but it's impossible to feel any sense of genuine tension or danger in a story where the protagonists' super powers allow them to create a physical manifestation of absolutely any thought that pops into their minds. Surprise, surprise, this makes the plot and, crucially, the denouement - which relies on the all-powerful, unstoppable villain conveniently becoming stupid for a few moments - completely uninvolving. The only saving graces are a few moments of chuckle-worthy comedy and Peter Sarsgaard, who brings an unsettling, seedy creepiness to his portrayal of Hector Hammond. Sadly, it's a performance that belongs in an altogether different sort of film. Oh, and Ryan Reynolds deserves this year's Ben Affleck Charisma Vacuum award.

Comments

Popular Posts