Film Review: Hanna [dir. Joe Wright; 2011]

The only thing worse than trash is well-made trash. Joe Wright's Hanna combines strong performances, surreal, Lynch-ian imagery, a visceral soundtrack and flashy editing to tell the story of a 16 year old girl - whose angelic face belies the fact that she's a Terminator-style killing machine - as she travels across several countries to find her father. It's a slick, brash, confident product. But it's also rotten to the core. I spent most of it asking myself if it was sadistic in itself or if it merely portrayed sadistic characters. Ultimately, the glee with which it insisted on glamorising its violence answered my question quite clearly. Each year, I have the misfortune to watch at least one movie that infuriates me with its patronising attitude to its audience and its cynical attempts to appear profound and insightful. In 2011, I suspect that film may well turn out to be Hanna.

Comments

Popular Posts