Russet

Today's post is a bit of a cheat, because it contains words which I can't claim as my own. I'm sharing them with you because... well, let's just say they resonated. They're taken from today's Woman's Hour interview with Zadie Smith.

Z Smith: Novels are such a mess. Novels make you feel sick when you're writing them. You hate them when you've finished them. ...

J Murray: So, when you begin a novel, what's going through your mind if you're thinking, 'This is going to be awful.'

Z Smith: When you begin you're full of hope, aren't you? You're so enthusiastic, and you usually have a really elaborate plan. ... You start in enthusiasm and then you can get very excited towards the middle, and the end is sometimes a drag. I'm always very happy when I finish them. It's just, afterwards... the feeling towards it kind of sours. For me, anyway.

Nice to know my loneliness is a figment of my imagination.

Comments

Popular Posts