Pink

I remember, as a teenager, being fascinated by the concept that still objects can be said to possess as much momentum as cannon balls hurtling through the sky. If momentum is a measure of an object's resistance to a change in its velocity, then still objects possess momentum too, because they resist having their velocity changed. In other words, they'd rather not move.

In case you hadn't already guessed, this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm finding it rather difficult to get back into the normal swing of things. I look ahead at the next few days/weeks/months, and all I see is a big old mountain with a flag at the top bearing the word 'Momentum'. Sort of. You get the idea.

Part of the problem is that - when I'm not having delusions of Hillary - I can't help seeing everything before me as one great mass of tasks and errands. I spend my days telling other people to break things down into manageable chunks, but when it comes to me...

I'll get there in the end, after various decisions have been made (such as: start a new novel or revise the current one?). I WILL do it. And I'll live to blog about it all. But until I get to that point, I shall take some succour from an unlikely quarter: Nora Ephron's latest film, Julie & Julia. True, its treatment of its subject is unashamedly Hollywood, but it's also full of inspirational truths, about writing and perseverance and luck and trying to enjoy what you're doing while you're doing it and keeping yourself focussed on what's important in life. I enjoyed it thoroughly and guiltily, which is how I enjoy Nutella-filled doughnuts (and I defy anyone to say a doughnut isn't a work of genius). More importantly, it made me want to spend hours staring at blank pages again.

So off we go. Come along for the ride. Bring your own happy pills.

Comments

Unknown said…
What is this colour thing ?
Pink pale purple ?

Popular Posts