Copper

One thing I know about myself is that my mind is my own. You can't make me change my opinion on anything. I make my own decisions about the films I watch and the music I listen to, refusing to be swayed by the views of friends or critics. I've been loyal to the same trusted newspaper ever since I left University. In fact, I'm loyal to most of the 'brands' I use, if that's what you want to call them. Mobile phones, cars, MP3 players, airlines, after shave, restaurants, radio stations, hotels. I find one I like and I stick to it, resisting this faddish business of swapping and changing just for the sake of it.

I remember one time a friend tried to make me eat pigeon. He told me it would taste just like chicken. He said all I had to do was try a tiny piece. He kept on at me, trying to push this thin sliver of meat under my nose, using the old 'How do you know you don't like it unless you have some' argument. But he didn't get anywhere. I kept my mouth shut and refused to give in until he had no choice but to admit defeat.

I suppose all this applies to my relationships with other people too. I stand up for my friends - giving them as much time and support as I can - but if they disappoint me or hurt me in a direct, personal way, then that's it: they're written into my bad books forever. After all, you can't ever trust anyone again if they've let you down once, can you?

- - -

I reckon the words I say most often are, "So tell me: what do YOU think?" I just can't help myself. I need to know the opinions of everyone around me on every single topic or issue that affects me in some way. If I hear a news item on the radio, I'll wait till people in the office start talking about it before I make up my mind about it. If a friend tells me that one fuel company is more 'ethical' than another, I'll immediately switch to it. If a new shop opens in town, I won't step inside it until someone I know recommends it. If I watch a TV programme, go to the theatre or buy a new DVD, it's because a friend has told me it's really good.

A few years ago I had this massive clear out of all sorts of stuff - clothes, CDs, books, even scraps of old wallpaper - which I'd used and loved in the past but which I'd changed my views on after listening to several people putting them down. And then there was the time I was on holiday in China with a friend and he insisted that we eat things like scorpions, sea horses and starfish. I tried every single one of them and they all got the 'thumbs up' from me because he enjoyed them. We had a major falling out after that holiday about something or other, but that's all been sorted out now.

Funnily enough, I think I've had major rows with all my friends at some point, but I always manage to push aside our differences and get our relationship back on track. After all, no matter how many times someone's been hurtful, you're meant to keep forgiving them, right?

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my God, I didn't evennn realise you were still posting to this - haven't checked in what seems like years!

It has now been added to my favourites and you shall see me popping up here - will this count towards my three paragraphs!?

Actually I think the older we get, the more set in our ways we are when it comes to things like 'brands' and stuff, as long as we don't get to the level of 'well that's just how things should be done'... you've already said that haven't you?!

Ah, just a ramble.

Will read and write more!
Blogger said…
I never went away!

But thanks for coming back, and feel free to pop up as often as you like... and to leave comments!

Popular Posts