Dummy

Research for the novel continues at a steady pace. My Amazon purchase history now officially states that I am a dummy in the fields of architecture, marketing, psychology and public relations, but I'm not allowing my self-esteem to feel the sting. Having said that, I think it would be no bad thing if the handy, yellow-bound books came with a cut-out badge bearing the words 'No Longer A Dummy'. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down 'Assisted Suicide For Dummies' or 'Sleep Deprivation For Dummies', but Time magazine's online archive search has proved to be quite a fruitful source of articles on those two topics.

I wasn't quite such a dummy last week, though, when my brother contacted me from Poland asking for help with a problem. He wanted to listen to the commentary of a particular football match on a certain online radio station, but copyright reasons prevented the commentary from being streamed on the Internet. After a couple of shared, mini-brain-waves, we came up with a solution. I tuned to the station on a trusty, old-fashioned radio. We both logged on to MSN Messenger (aka Windows Live Messenger). We opened a 'Voice Chat'. I placed my microphone next to the radio's speakers. And the commentary travelled all the way to my brother's flat in Warsaw. I'm glad I'm still not blase about modern technology!

Popular Posts