List

The Divine L and I decided to spend the first day of the new year by embarking on a new experience, so instead of driving to our nearest city - which we've done countless times - we thought we'd walk to it instead. During the 90+ minute journey, I found myself making mental lists of the various highlights: going past the house of a famous writer; seeing gutters filled with spent party poppers; using underpasses and pathways we never knew existed; hearing snatches of several arguments and rows; braving roundabouts we're more accustomed to crossing whilst protected in a four-wheeled vehicle. Actually, all this makes it sound like an unpleasant endeavour, which it wasn't at all. Perhaps I should turn it into a trend and ensure that every day this year I do something that could count as a new experience? But then, I've never been one for new year's resolutions.

Speaking of lists, this is the time of year when I like to compile my Top 5 films of the last twelve months, so - just in case anyone's interested - here they are, in the order in which they were seen:

Notable DVD viewings of the year included Historias Minimas, Le Grand Voyage, The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Grizzly Man, L'Enfant and The Cremator.

Finally, in keeping with the theme of this post, I should just mention that the other day I came across a small stash of old diaries which contained, amongst other things, countless lists of my favourite films of various years. So, at the start of a new year, the first words that come to mind are: plus ça change...

Comments

Popular Posts