Night Breezes

Yesterday I spent a couple of minutes re-reading my 'dreams book'. Notice I wrote a 'couple' of minutes: the tome in question is not exactly the fattest in my collection. It was a discipline I tried to establish several months ago. The idea is that you keep a notebook by your bedside and use it to record as many details as you can recall about your dreams. I think the ultimate point of the exercise is that it helps you - if you'll excuse the jargon of creative writing courses - unleash your latent creativity.

I'm not sure it helped me unleash anything other than very poor, crack-of-dawn handwriting. To be fair, though, I didn't give it much of a chance and now, having re-read my bleary-eyed scribbles, I'm beginning to wonder if I was too hastily dismissive. The entries are all very brief but they make absorbing reading and, most interestingly, they describe dreams of which I have absolutely not the slightest wisp of a memory.

So maybe the whole thing's worth giving another go? Who knows, it might even lead to a Shelly-esque moment of nocturnal inspiration. Oh, and in case you're interested, one of the strangest entries was about a dream in which I created an alternative cover for the CD single of The Feeling's Sewn. My design featured a picture not of the band, but of Jamie Cullum posing beneath the words: 'Sewn - The new single from Tom Jones'.

How does that Mrs Ritchie song go? "Sigmund Freud, analyse this."

Popular Posts